Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: Conventions & Game Days Forums :: COSCON

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Quest at Cons?
Go to page  1 2
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, Brian Abels, Taylor
Author Post
Maxx
Sun Oct 21 2012, 06:37p.m.
Registered Member #74

I put this under the COSCON forum, because I think this is where it should go...

WHY is there no Quest presence at the cons? Do people at cons, aside from Quest people even realize that a larp exists? NERO started just about the same time as Quest and they are now massive.

I would like to see a quest element at the cons... There used to be some, but it faded away. In general, the cons all seem far weaker now then in the past, my observation only.

So, I don't know what can be done, or if anyone even really cares but I think there should be a push to get more people interested in LARPing.

Even gamers think larping is stupid, but you know what, I bet 99% of them have never even tried larping. Why not give them a chance to experience it?

Take it or leave, thought I'd rant for a minute. There it is.

Ron R
Sun Oct 21 2012, 07:03p.m.
Registered Member #175

Good topic. We've tried running, demos, table of stuff, but only had minimal interest. I'd be really interested in hearing new ideas on how to draw in new players.

Part of the issue is that a booth or other activity ties up people. so minimal return, and people who would run other events are tied up...

So, ranting is fine but does anyone have a solution that works? Or is anyone interested in sitting at a table or volunteering for demo duty (maybe watch over a Quest fight ring to let people try it out)?
Lucas
Sun Oct 21 2012, 07:37p.m.

Registered Member #1

We used to have a quest booth in the vendor area. I ran it, updated characters, discussed rules and the game with general con attendees. I started running games. No one stepped up. Booth fizzled out.

Had a module at the con a few times. More political and roleplaying than combat, but combat I believe was present out back of the hotel in the parking lot. I can't remember who wrote/ran it, but I believe Dave, Brian, Bax, etc. were involved. Only questers played it because it was worth points and they didn't want to 'miss out'. I don't think there was one new person. To me, that's a bust, and shouldn't be worth points to play if you already have a character (only NPCing), but just my opinion.

Most Quest-oriented discussions were tabled with the COS Terror Zombie LARP being run for a few cons. Same folks that stepped up to do the Quest mod did that. It did okay, but it's not Quest. Any LARP though has potential liability issues if there's actual combat involved, so that's just a side thing to consider.

Recently, a combination of factors led to trimming down the con to the 'back half' of the hotel:
* COSVamp Vampire LARP consistency
* Addition of Werewolf LARP
* Increase in 'townies' at Days Inn bar Friday and Saturday night killing front of hotel and usage of Heritage A/B/C and Roebling for evening gaming
* Increased cost of renting Heritage and Roebling without viable 'revenue-producing' events to actually pay for the renting

Discussed a 'True Dungeon' type event as well, like a Fantasy-based one-shot LARP instead of the COS Terror Zombies. It's like running at Quest though. Need folks to step up, like a plot runner, a plot, NPCs, props, etc., and hopefully players to play (and new ones at that).

I'd think manning a Quest booth again may not be a bad idea (which we can probably discuss at the next board meeting), with folks that deal well with the public and should be well-informed about rules, current game status, etc. Last thing we'd need is people that are soured on the rules/game representing the club and/or uninformed taking the brunt of ire from pissed off players about recent rules decisions. But really, where are we going to find anyone that fits that category, am I right? (sarcasm implied) But basically, like most things, we need someone to do it.

So, not like we've never had it there, but it kind of dies out if there's no one attending to it. As far as NERO, there's no doubt there's things they do better to advance their game, but there's a cost to that (maybe $10-$20 more per event?) and there's things I think we do better in contrast.

Anyways, that's my 'why' from my POV, but there's probably other reasons beyond that which I can't remember right now.
Lucas
Sun Oct 21 2012, 07:45p.m.

Registered Member #1

...but not all con long. it got boring sometimes if no one was around, and everyone needs bathroom and dinner breaks. :p
Mc
Sun Oct 21 2012, 08:10p.m.
Registered Member #1232

I'm sure my group would be interested in npcing for a Quest booth
Balazar
Mon Oct 22 2012, 08:23a.m.
Registered Member #777

I woild volunteer to work a Quest booth or run something.
Maxx
Mon Oct 22 2012, 09:25a.m.
Registered Member #74

I remember your booth Luke, that's why I posted, I never knew what happened to it. As screwed up as it is, I realize that not all mini-gamers table top roleplaying and vice versa and I realize that die hard table top gamers may not be into Larp or even video games. It always seemed silly to me that people segregate themselves like this, but sometimes I think it's just because they never tried. Even if we didn't have a manned booth, even just a table with maybe a well put together video and some pamphlets or something, just to raise some awareness of it, or to remind folks that it still exists...
Angus
Fri Feb 28 2014, 08:00p.m.
I think that if we can get some good video of a weekend, from random encounter to people just rping to epic combat, or even several events, have a table, someone man it for just a few hours a day with information on the larp, maybe some weapons on display, we could get an interest, that is how I got started, talking to Dave at a booth at Butler farm show years ago

[ Edited Fri Feb 28 2014, 08:02p.m. ]
Maxx
Sat Mar 01 2014, 01:04p.m.
Registered Member #74

That's all I'm saying. But don't make it corny or weird. And I think people will be more open to trying it. Gotta break those social stigmas.
Lucas
Sun Mar 02 2014, 11:13a.m.

Registered Member #1

With Tekkoshocon coming up and after a few technology purchases, we're starting to convert many of the quest, con, picnic, etc. footage to digital files.

We'll start first to put together basic videos for now for looping on an iPad (or whatever) at the table at the Tekko con (we just started so maybe not in time for Coscon). We'll have that, props, costumes, etc. for Quest, as well as COSVamp, convention, and other club materials to promote the club as a whole.

Other goals include making a short Quest into video that covers all the initial meeting topics. That way everyone watches it during check-in, signs off that they've viewed it, and our start meeting becomes a 5-10 minute kickoff.

Long term goals will not only be to add additional new footage, but also post them on a private YouTube channel for club members to watch, etc. Advanced long term goal would be to get some sort of 80's montage film (okay not really).

Anyways, good news in the works for an overall revamp year!
Go to page  1 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF