Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: Conventions & Game Days Forums :: COSCON

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
2013 COSCON
Go to page  1 2
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, Brian Abels, Taylor
Author Post
Chappy
Sun Oct 21 2012, 07:57a.m.
Registered Member #39

I know it is October and SIBCON has really just finished, but I started thinking about COSCON already.
As you know if you have been reading the boards for some time, I have been a of having some games other than the Living D&D worlds at our cons. There is nothing wrong with them, they bring a lot of people, those people have fun playing them, so they are a good thing. We need to have those people as they are the bulk of the table top players at the con.
However, there is a small (and I hope growing) group of players who want to play some other tabletop games at the con. But, it just never seems to work. Either, the GMs post and ask if people want to play...and nothing happens, or they take the step of preparing a game, and all the work that goes with it...and they have no people sign up. This is not moving us forward.
So what do we do?
I am asking you out there to help with ideas for how we get more games at COSCON and not have a lot of work go to waste.

Do we form a small group of people who have interest in things like indie games, or old school clones, or whatever and then figure out what we all wnat to play?

Do we have some kind of contest to spark interest?

Do we have people sign up for a GMs game blind as to what they are playing...it is just that you know the GM and like their style?

Do we schedule shorter games at odd times so people don't feel they are risking as much?

do we gather interest early and then write out the game when we know if is filled with enough players to play?

Not sure. Just throwing ideas? Do we consider that these types of games don't do well with the current game sign up system that COS uses, and send a suggestion to our board for something else?

I look forward to hearing from you out there.

Chappy

Balazar
Sun Oct 21 2012, 09:37a.m.
Registered Member #777

Yeah for 3 CONS I prepped 3 sessions and had one small group out of the 9 sessions. It sucked.

I would suggest some sort of reward for trying new games. Not sure what sort of reward at this point. But I also like the idea of blind slots but not sure how many would go for it.
Ron R
Sun Oct 21 2012, 10:37a.m.
Registered Member #175

Dave has said that we are more of a "living con" because our players like to carry their points with them and build characters. Maybe there is some way to earn credits in the other games to keep building characters.

I dont know if you can get past that running one-shot games, but here are some ideas:

When picking PC's have a seperate pile of pregens for experienced players.

More advertising at the actual con, maybe a flyer taped up that explains what you are running and why it's fun.

Word of mouth. I know this worked for Chappy's game and he has a group that always plays in them.

Maybe other people have more and better ideas...

Chappy
Sun Oct 21 2012, 12:16p.m.
Registered Member #39

Thanks Ron and Kimber for your imput. Any ideas or input helps at this point.I actually had a couple of people who were frustrated by the "living" games. If you are not in on the ground floor, you are always a weeker player in the game, and they wanted to be on the same playing field as the other players.

However, I think to your point Ron, perhaps first choice of chacters from the Pre-Gen Pool. Per haps some other kind of reward.

I had this idea, that maybe we would have some kind of contest.....There is a theme or phrase where the GMs have to incoporate it into their adventure/module/game somehow, like in a fiction writing contest. The players are the judges, and they get something toward their prize goal as they play and rate more games in the contest.

This would take some work and the idea would need filled out, and submitted to the Board for approval of how it would run, so as not to disrupt the workings of the CON. Then it would need people to go out and work toward getting some prize support.

That is just an idea, but something like that might be cool to do.

Still looking for more ideas.

How do we get more games at the con? How do we get more people to come to th con to play them?
Maxx
Sun Oct 21 2012, 06:28p.m.
Registered Member #74

For me personally, I've gone to both cons for over 10 years. I role-play almost every single evening with my group, either Shadowrun, D&D, Rifts, Mechwarrior...

However, I have only played 1 game, 1 time at 1 con. And here are the reasons why I don't game at the cons:

1. Just like Chappy said about the living games. (Side note, this is also one of the main reasons why I do not play vampire or werewolf larps.)

2. Just like Ron said. I believe in playing a character and seeing them advance. I do not like one shot adventures with characters I don't care about. If I just wanted to play a meaningless character in a meaningless game, then I can play call of duty on my xbox.

I have no solutions to the problem, I am simply giving you my reasons as to why I don't participate in cons... And I think others feel the same way, but I really don't know how you fix it.

And I have a serious issue with the cons, that I will bring up in a separate thread.
Chappy
Mon Oct 22 2012, 06:42p.m.
Registered Member #39

Adam,

Those are good points.

Personally I don't know if we will ever get those problems solved for the people that don't play at the con at all. I wish we could. The goal is for people to have a good time gaming at the con.

However, there are some people who just are not into playing the current D&D games (really they a RPGA), and are looking for something else to play. At least I think there are...I know I am one.

But I am glad to have your input, every little bit helps.
meriae
Tue Oct 23 2012, 10:32p.m.
Registered Member #11

I dunno if my feedback matters, but I love the indie games. I have a small group of people that I really enjoy playing with, Chappy included, and I'd pretty much play in whatever he was running. As long as I liked the other people playing, that is.

I even sometimes get up early to play Chappy games. And I love me some jenga.
Balazar
Tue Oct 23 2012, 10:44p.m.
Registered Member #777

Jenga kicks buttockesses
scorch
Wed Oct 24 2012, 08:46a.m.
Registered Member #125

Texas hold em might be fun for those of us that don't like dice, tape measures, or rock, paper, scissors. Maybe for for quest coin to keep it legal? Or the con bucks/points or something?
Matthew Monroe
Wed Oct 24 2012, 11:28a.m.
Registered Member #2207

scorch wrote ...

Texas hold em might be fun for those of us that don't like dice, tape measures, or rock, paper, scissors. Maybe for for quest coin to keep it legal? Or the con bucks/points or something?

If we played for Quest coin, my in-game money issues would be solved in a heartbeat.

Go to page  1 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF