Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: Conventions & Game Days Forums :: COSCON

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Quest at Cons?
Go to page  1 2
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, Brian Abels, Taylor
Author Post
Balazar
Sun Mar 02 2014, 02:45p.m.
Registered Member #777

I like that idea of the viewing before we start to make Friday nights faster.
scorch
Sun Mar 02 2014, 03:23p.m.
Registered Member #125

The tutorial video is an awesome idea.
Penny
Sun Mar 02 2014, 08:35p.m.
Registered Member #118

It involves Maxx beating someone repeatedly with a sword.
Maxx
Sun Mar 02 2014, 09:16p.m.
Registered Member #74

I don't think me beating people would encourage anyone to play... However I do volunteer myself to assist in anyway, since I proposed the majority of this stuff.

I really think that not taking the ridiculous comic approach to this that people expect, but also not being really serious where it seems weird is the line we have to walk. It needs to reach out gently to non-larpers and not seem like an awkward thing...

People friggin' hate LARPs, but why? Ask around at con, even hardcore gamers think larping is stupid for some reason... I think movies, for one, make them look stupid as crap and make the people all seem like sad rejects and losers. And if you check out stuff online, 99% of the people who are like deeply into larping are literally insane, very awkward or rapey. That stuff only reinforces the negative images and stigmas and slaps a label of loserville on larping.

If a video is to be made to be shown, it needs to be a marketing tool to sell this to the broader crowd. People at most cons are already dressed up prancing around like anime characters, superheros and my little pony, but those same people shun and hate larping and the only reason is, because they only know what they have seen in movies and online. You have to trick them into believing that is not the way it is. And then when they get to Quest, they'll see it's not like the movies at all. We have a pretty unique larp as in I'd say 97% of us are just people and not secret basement mutants that never see the light of day and think we actually live in Middle Earth or something. Not that there is anything wrong with that... But, I think if people see we're a generally cool and easy to deal with group, it'd make them much more inclined to check out an event.

[ Edited Sun Mar 02 2014, 09:18p.m. ]
Lucas
Sun Mar 02 2014, 10:17p.m.

Registered Member #1

I agree 100%. It's a game like any other, and it's not much different than the crazy things you do playing other board games, party games, find amusing or interesting in challenges on shows like Survivor, or encourage in your family around Halloween. Granted, all just examples and there's hundreds of similar/better ones.

But going campy or comical not only belittles the interests of our player base, but it also undermines all the other good things we try to do. First thing that springs to mind is providing an outlet for folks of similar interest to get together and socialize, while sometimes forming life-long friendships and relationships. A close second is our charity efforts in the community and for our membership.

Just my similar thoughts, but yes great points all.
Maxx
Sun Mar 02 2014, 11:22p.m.
Registered Member #74

I know you guys will keep it classy. Lets just hope the people are open and willing to listen.

[ Edited Sun Mar 02 2014, 11:25p.m. ]
Balazar
Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:02a.m.
Registered Member #777

If we have the space at the Con I think we could put a booth together for show. Just grab some weapons, props, and have some peeps bring their cooler costume elements, like Jim's sweet helmet, Bax's cool staff, Maxx's awesome shield. Print out some pics and put them on a poster. Maxx's comments about LARPS are pretty spot on but we can change this. I would be willing to man this booth at some point during the Con. I think with minimal effort we may be able to snag a few people, even with little prep.
Angus
Mon Mar 03 2014, 05:11p.m.
I will be willing to man the booth as well for a few hours in between vampire
Snowflake
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:57p.m.
Registered Member #800

I'm always game to help with whatever you guys need.
Ruadhan
Tue Mar 04 2014, 02:13p.m.
Registered Member #2

Same here.
Go to page  1 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF