Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: COSQuest Live-Action Roleplaying Game Forums :: COS Quest Rules Q&A

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Martyr and Dodge
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, davie, Taylor
Author Post
Brif Stoneworth
Wed Jul 24 2019, 12:44p.m.
Registered Member #52

I figured that I'd ask these before they come up in holds...

2 questions:

1. Can you dogdge INTO an AoE (if you are in range) to martyr it?
2. Can you Martyr and Dodge an AoE to avoid anyone taking damage - Ie. Martyr the damage and then dodge out of the way?

I didn't think you could do the second option but after reading Martyr it specifically states that it's considered AoE damage.

Snowflake
Wed Jul 24 2019, 07:48p.m.
Registered Member #800

1. As written currently:

This Ability enables the user to move five feet in any one direction during a Hold to escape an Area of Effect

Dodge requires you to escape the AoE to use the skill. So if you are not currently in the AoE you cannot dodge. Also if dodge would not take you out of the AoE, just closer to the edge, you technically cannot use dodge at all.

2. You must be taking the damage to be able to martyr it. So, you would dodge to prevent taking the damage, then everyone still within the AoE would be assigned the damage, then someone would choose to martyr. Dodge prevents the damage from being assigned to you in the first place (In my mind). However I believe we might just need to tweak martyr's wording from:

If the user is able to take the full body damage

to:

If the user takes the full body damage
Snowflake
Wed Jul 24 2019, 07:48p.m.
Registered Member #800

Though it does not require the AoE to be Damage, so you could for instance, Dodge an area mute or Sink spell.
Lucas
Fri Jul 26 2019, 07:24p.m.

Registered Member #1

Correct on both:

1) you have to be in it AND be within 5 feet of the edge of the AoE to use Dodge. If you cannot escape it in 5 feet, the Dodge does not work and you remain in the same place (it isn't a free Tumble, etc.).

2) It's an either/or scenario. You either use Dodge to escape the AoE damage/effects to save your own hide --OR-- you stay within the AoE to Martyr any damage of the effect as body damage (with all special extra effects affecting all targets within the AoE normally. You can't use both Abilities at the same time, however, as per 1) if you try to Dodge and find out you're not within 5 feet of the edge of the AoE, you can then decide to use Martyr.

We'll work on a slight rewrite to Martyr for clarification.
Brif Stoneworth
Sun Jul 28 2019, 09:54a.m.
Registered Member #52

One last question (probably)

If you martyr an AoE trap and have half damage from traps then you take full damage because it's converted to 'body damage', not 'trap damage'. Correct?

[ Edited Sun Jul 28 2019, 09:55a.m. ]
Lucas
Mon Jul 29 2019, 07:21a.m.

Registered Member #1

No, actually half damage is a skill and always on so takes effect before you use the ability Martyr. It's just easier to martyr a trap aoe if you have both skills. But it's still does body damage.
Brif Stoneworth
Mon Jul 29 2019, 04:37p.m.
Registered Member #52

Okay I thought I had it,
So, Martyr + Immune to Stun for a 100 stun AoE?

You need at least 100 body to trigger Martyr, there's no stun, and the martyr takes 100 body?

Thanks for all the clarification Luke.
Lucas
Mon Jul 29 2019, 07:52p.m.

Registered Member #1

Right, or save your own hide and ignore the stun, then search any knocked out friends and draw mustaches on them while they sleep!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF