Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: Conventions & Game Days Forums :: SIBCON

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
New Member - New GM?
Go to page  1 2
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, Brian Abels, Taylor
Author Post
samwise7
Mon Mar 22 2010, 10:36a.m.
Registered Member #1082

Hello,

I want to try my hand at running a few RPGs at SIBCon. I've attended the last two conventions and played in the wonderful AD&D game.

I was wondering when the deadlines are for running a game? I have to think about what I would actually run, but I would be trying to run games that aren't normally there at COS or SIBcon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

samwise7
Tue Mar 23 2010, 12:26p.m.
Registered Member #1082

I was thinking of running a Dogs In The Vineyard game, and a BRP game, probably on a Sunday.

I just need some pointers from those in the club that know how things work. I'm a little clueless on how your club functions.

I know that you have the 2 conventions, and that you used to have monthly gaming.

[ Edited Tue Mar 23 2010, 12:26p.m. ]
Lucas
Tue Mar 23 2010, 10:43p.m.

Registered Member #1

For the conventions, typically 2 weeks prior to each con if you want the events posted online and want players to know what you're running. If it's an unusual game, the sooner the better to make people aware of it. Plus, we try to send out emails prior to the con, so we can include everything that's scheduled in those, too.

The cons run normally for the 4-hr blocks for RPGs, but it's pretty free-form with whatever you want to do. Submit a short blurb, work on the details up until the con, and have at it! I'd guess 90% of the non-RPGA plot is finalized in the last week before the con, so you'll be in good company, lol!

For other times of the year, if you'd like to run something at a local gaming store (NDC, Legions, etc.), Borders in Pittsburgh Mills, etc., best to contact the store first, then post here once you have confirmation. I doubt many of them would object to someone running something in their store to promote gaming if they have the schedule time and space.

We've been discussing the idea of a 'gaming day' or two at the above locations, but so far our schedule has been pretty full with Quest, Vampire, con-prep, and more. We'll squeeze it in eventually, and when we do, we'll post it here too, so that'd be another outlet!
samwise7
Tue Mar 23 2010, 11:34p.m.
Registered Member #1082

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to think I had cooties or something. :)

I normally run 3-5 events at GASPcon, and at Chuck-A-Con, and I wanted to start running some games for you guys and gals as well.

I was also thinking a World of Darkness Mortals game would be fun.

I'll start working on stuff and figure out what I'm doing.

[ Edited Tue Mar 23 2010, 11:34p.m. ]
samwise7
Sat Jul 17 2010, 09:21p.m.
Registered Member #1082

I'll have to start thinking what I'm going to run. Is there a deadline for sending in information for games I'm going to run?

It was nice to see some of the Circle of Swords people down my way recently.
Chappy
Sun Jul 18 2010, 10:08a.m.
Registered Member #39

Hi Tim,

I wanted to throw in my advice for you here. The would be....you probably will have to explain what games are if they are not very well known. (such as World of Darkness or D&D).

The reason is...well most people at our convention don't really follow the smaller games. So if you are going to run Dogs, you may want to find something outr there to post on the forums to tell people about it.

I am not saying they are not interested in playing, just that most people are not familiar with the Indie games. So a little explination about what they can expect if they play goews a long way.

You also may want to have a small blurb about the game in the adventure write up, that helps too.

example:

"Dogs in the Vineyard is a supernatural western that focuses on moral issues. The game mechanics are quick and easy to learn, so no experinece is needed to play. If you like games where you can win a conflict without ever drawing your weapon, Dogs is a game for you.

I am a GM that if friendly to new players, and is more than willing to explain any rules questions you might have."

Chappy
samwise7
Sun Jul 18 2010, 09:44p.m.
Registered Member #1082

Thanks for the advice. I have to sit down and iron out what games I'm actually going to run (and do the prep work of course).

I'll make sure to put in a bigger description for less known games.
samwise7
Mon Jul 19 2010, 07:59p.m.
Registered Member #1082

Looks like I have to fill out the GM Con Reg link. I only see one slot for putting in a game however... Do I fill it out 3 times, since I want to run 3 games (Ditv, LL, and NWOD)?

[ Edited Mon Jul 19 2010, 08:00p.m. ]
samwise7
Fri Jul 23 2010, 09:28a.m.
Registered Member #1082

I filled out the GM Con Reg link 3 times for my 3 events. Hopefully that was what I was supposed to do. Thanks.
samwise7
Fri Aug 13 2010, 08:41p.m.
Registered Member #1082

I'm hoping to get some last minute players, or sign ups at the con. :)
Go to page  1 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF